Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Book Review ~ Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


Title: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Author: Judith Viorst

Accelerated Reader (AR) Level: 3 (0.5points)

Ages that Will Enjoy the Book: 5-9

Movie Version Available: No

Review: This was one of my favorite books as a child. Alexander is having "one of those days" where if anything could go wrong, it did! Children will enjoy laughing at Alexander's miserable day and the adorable illustrations that accompany it. I think the thing that makes this book so inviting is that we've all felt exactly the way Alexander feels. In his self-pity, he warps reality just a bit, but we can all relate. After all, "some days are like that, even in Australia." It is a picture book, so it is a quick read. It is perfect when your child's day didn't go quite according to plan. Although, I must admit, I love reading this book even when I have had a great day.

*If you like this book, she has written a couple more to go with this mini-series: Alexander, Who's Not (Do you hear me? I mean it!) Going to Move; Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday; and Absolutely, Positively Alexander (which is all 3 books bound into one book.)

Also by Judith Viorst

No comments:

Post a Comment