Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Make a Puzzle

Teachers are known for being resourceful. Nothing can be wasted! I learned a way to turn old calendars into puzzles. First, I would laminate each month's picture. (I laminated them because they were for my class. If you are making them for use at home, you could choose to skip that step.) Then, I would cut the pictures into various shapes (usually squares to save time.) Finally, cut out the small picture from the back cover of the calendar that matches the picture you just cut. This will serve as a guide. Put all of the pieces in a Ziploc bag with the guide facing out.

My third and fourth graders loved them. They seem easy to solve, but if you cut squares, it's hard to tell how they fit together because any side could be the top, and there's no curves to match up.

No comments:

Post a Comment