Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Book Review ~ The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane


Title: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Author: Kate DiCamillo

Accelerated Reader (AR) Level: 4 (2 points)

Ages that Will Enjoy the Book: 9-12

Movie Version Available: No

Review: I must admit; I judged this book by its cover. It looked boring to me, and I was not interested. However, I selected it because it won an award in my state for being one of the best children's books published that year. Still I was skeptical. I asked a fifth grade teacher what she thought. (She had read it to her class.) She said that her students really liked it, and she would recommend it. Still doubtful, I started to read it to my class (fourth graders that year.) We fell in love with this book pretty quickly. I even found myself reading ahead, because I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen. I think this book is best when read aloud. It is a great book to read as a class or to share with a parent in the evenings.

The main character, Edward Tulane, is a collectable rabbit doll. He does not understand love or kindness. Edward is very proud, but he soon learns many lessons about this sort of behavior. The journey that Edward finds himself on is rather unbelievable. The book takes you through many different emotions as you travel with Edward. The story is wonderful no matter how you read it, but I just cannot stress enough how special it would be as a parent/child read together book.

*Also by Kate DiCamillo

No comments:

Post a Comment