Monday, February 16, 2009

Book Review ~ A Series of Unfortunate Events


Title: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Author: Lemony Snicket

Accelerated Reader (AR) Level: Mostly 6, but a few are 7s (most worth 5-9 points)

Ages that Will Enjoy the Book: 8-13

Movie Version Available: Yes (covers the first few books)

Review: When these books first came out, libraries and bookstores could not keep them on the shelves. I was teaching third grade at the time, and several of my students were absolutely in love with this series. I read the first book. I could not stand to read any farther. Many adults that read them with their children felt the same way. There must be something about them that adults just don't "get." For whatever reason, kids seem to like them. They are written in a classic style. The vocabulary used in this book will surely stretch your child to new levels. I think this series is very educational in that aspect. While they were not my favorites, I think they are good for kids. Not many books on the market today are written with rich language and complex wording. They have not been "written down" on a child's level. They are much more like the classics of old. It may be good for a child to experience such a work of literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment